VISION & MISSION STATEMENT
“Where there is no vision, the people perish…” (Proverbs 29:18)
“Write the vision, and make it plain…” (Habakkuk 2:2)
The following statement comes out of a lengthy process of prayerful exploration and consultation. It began in 2012 as part of a consideration of New Life history with a view to healing and restoration. Besides acknowledging, confessing and repenting of negative traits within the culture of the church, we also identified positive element – what we have called our “foundational DNA” – that we recognise as God’s distinctives for New Life Church.
The 5 elements of Foundational DNA are:
- Youth & Children’s Work
- Overseas Mission
- Bible Teaching
- A Place of Refuge & Grace
While these 5 elements may not necessarily be mentioned by name in the current statement, they form the backbone of the statement. We seek to honour these distinctives and set them as priorities as we move forward.
Following the identification of our DNA, the Elders sought to prayerfully formulate a draft mission statement which has been through stages of consultation and revision with the input from a wider leadership group in the church.
We want to be a church that equips all people to live a joyful and genuine Christian life through experiencing the presence of God, living by the word of God, loving one another as the family of God, and transforming the world through the power and love of God.
We will seek to fulfil our vision with grace and integrity, acknowledging our dependence on the Holy Spirit to make us a sacrificial and inclusive community that welcomes all people, and recognises that all people are on a lifelong journey of transformation. We are motivated by God’s heart of love for all people – revealed supremely in the life & ministry of Jesus Christ – irrespective of age, religion, status or gender.
STRATEGIC GOALS / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Worship. We are committed to inspiring and relevant worship that acknowledges both the greatness and intimacy of God, provides space for people to encounter the reality of His presence, and encourages open participation through the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- Teaching. We are committed to applying the whole of the Bible to our lives through relevant and practical Bible teaching, and we acknowledge Scripture to be the final authority for all aspects of living.
- Care. As a local church “family”, we want to honour and care for one another through practical expressions of loving support.
- Compassion. We believe that God’s heart is for the orphan, widow, lonely and oppressed; the minorities, isolated and marginalised. We want to be a church where isolated people are included and welcomed into the wider family by providing regular opportunities for friendship, fun and hospitality for all.
- Transformation. We are committed to life-long learning and transformation for all individuals, and the society of which we are a part, as we are conformed to the image of Christ and demonstrate the on-going love and power of Jesus to the world.
- Mission. We are committed to Jesus’ Great Commandment to love, and His Great Commission to go; motivated by love to proclaim the message of God’s Kingdom in word and deed, and seeing the practical expression of this worked out both locally and globally.